Northfield Park Renovation
NRH Parks and Recreation is excited that the Northfield Park Renovation Project is underway. This page will be updated regularly as the Northfield Park Project progresses.
Located at 7804 Davis Boulevard, Northfield Park is one of the city's oldest parks, having opened in 1985. Throughout the past year, the Parks & Recreation Department sought public input regarding improvements to the 34-acre park, including an online survey and community meetings.
The renovation will cost $5.61 million and is being funded by half-cent sales tax for park development, park impact fees paid by new development, and a $500,000 grant from the Texas Parks & Wildlife Commission. Earlier this year, the Commission approved $16 million in competitive park grants to help fund projects that will create and enhance outdoor recreational opportunities for 37 communities across the state. North Richland Hills was only city in Tarrant County to be awarded grant funding in 2017. View the Texas Parks & Wildlife Press Release
The project will improve aging park facilities including lighted softball fields, sand volleyball courts, lighted tennis courts, playground, basketball court, pavilion, trails, landscaping, picnic tables, benches and other infrastructure.
Tipps Canine Hollow dog park will not be impacted by this project. The dog park will maintain its normal operating hours.
Beginning November 6, 2017 the park is closed during construction. Construction is expected to be completed in Fall of 2018. For the safety of NRH citizens and guests, please follow the construction signs, warnings and fencing in place and DO NOT enter the park.
We want to make sure that everyone will have access to the latest information about this very important project. Please do not hesitate to contact the Parks and Recreation Department at 817-427-6620 with questions or concerns.
Project Update-May 10, 2018
- As of April 30, 2018, billing from Dean Construction represented 49% of the total contract. Despite several periods of rain over the past 6 months, the project is currently on schedule. All of the sport lighting for the project is complete, as well as the placement of all required electrical components within the park. The restroom and concession building has seen the most progress in the past two months, with the masonry work 90% complete and the standing seam metal roof at approximately 50% complete. Once these two items are completed, interior finish out with fixture placement will begin. Additionally, the tennis and basketball courts are complete with the exception of the surface materials. Upcoming activities include work on the entry drive and parking lot, the playground, picnic pavilions and the outer looped walking trail. Once those items are complete, site grading, landscape and irrigation work will commence.
Project Update-April 30, 2018
- The exterior stone and block for the restroom/concession building is approximately 85% complete. Masons are currently constructing the four columns on each side of the building. The 10’ wide outer loop trail is 50% complete, and formwork has begun for the internal circulation sidewalks. Steel reinforcement for a major section of the parking lot is complete, and concrete for this section was poured as of 4-26-18. The pavilions and playground installation will begin in the next two weeks and site grading will be an on-going activity as areas become developed.
Project Update-April 13, 2018
- Dean Construction continues to make significant progress on the project. The parking lot paving contractors completed the final grade work in preparation for setting forms and tying rebar for the parking lot paving. Once the parking lot is complete, the bulk of construction traffic will be directed to park in the parking lot which will free up the remainder of the site for more detailed development. Masonry work is underway for the restroom and concession building and should be completed in the next two weeks. In addition, just under half of the looped walking trail has been poured. The large group pavilion as well as the two smaller picnic pavilions are expected to be delivered next week when installation will begin.
Project Update-March 12, 2018
- The restroom/concession building has seen considerable progress since the site has been able to dry out. The block walls are complete on the perimeter and for all interior rooms, along with the application of a moisture barrier material. Approximately 30% of the roof trusses are in place as the last step prior to roof decking and metal roof material being installed. Additionally the post tensioned slabs for the tennis and basketball courts are poured, with lighting and fence work currently in progress. All sport lighting for the three softball fields, tennis court, basketball court and sand volleyball court is now complete.
Project Update-February 28, 2018
- Over the past few weeks, all of the sports field lighting has been installed. Currently, Dean Construction is working on the walls at the restroom/concession building, and expect to have the walls in place by the end of next week. Due to multiple days of heavy rain and extremely wet conditions, progress has temporarily slowed to only block wall placement on the building slab. With clear and warmer weather expected next week, the contractor is expected to be able to return to making significant progress once again.
Project Update- February 12, 2018
- Significant progress has been made in the last 30 days on the Northfield Renovation Project. The electrical, plumbing and mechanical utility rough in was completed for the Concession/Restroom building the week of February 5th through the 8th. As such, the moisture barrier was installed and the slab poured on February 12. Additionally, 6 piers were drilled and poured with the sport lighting bases in place for the Musco sport lighting around the three softball fields, tennis and basketball courts. The tennis and basketball courts are post tension cable slabs, and weather permitting the slabs will be poured middle of the week February 19th through the 23rd. The forming of the parking lot is expected to being by February 19.
Project Update - January 22, 2018
- Compaction and moisture condition continues this week for the Concession/Restroom building slab. Test reports taken on January 24 are expected to verify that the specifications have been met. As such, the slab will be poured in the next couple of weeks. The sanitary sewer and storm sewer systems are complete and in place. The new 8” water main is also in place and will be connected to the City main this week. Additionally, grade work is nearing completion and the parking lot concrete is expected to begin the second week in February 2018.
Project Update - December 12, 2017
- The demolition phase of the project was completed on December 7, 2017. The earthwork phase began with grade work related to an underground piping system that will convey storm water to Little Bear Creek east of the project site. The process has begun in the new parking lot to over-excavate for the selected base material to be placed. The earthwork portion of the project is expected to take place over the next six weeks.
Project Update - December 4, 2017
- Demolition and disposal of the park's existing structures and roads is nearing completion.
Project Update - November 21, 2017
- Demolition work continues this week with the removal of ballfield lighting, ballfield fencing, pavilion, basketball court and concrete curbs.
|October 2017||NRH City Council Approves Contract|
|November 2017||Construction Begins|
|September 2018||Anticipated Completion|