Door & Window Alarms
1) Alarms must be installed on all doors and windows with direct access to a pool, spa or hot tub area. Alarms on windows can be omitted under the following conditions:
When bottom edge of windows are 48 inch or more above floor
When an approved 48” tall barrier is provided near the perimeter of the pool
When windows are equipped with approved opening control devices meeting ASTM F 2090 (See examples below):
2) Alarms must sound within 7 seconds after the door is opened.
3) Alarms must be capable of creating an audible notification that is at least 85 dBA at the source and must be audible throughout the house.
4) Alarms must be installed at least 54 inches above the floor and be mounted to the door/wall so that it cannot be easily removed.
5) Alarms must have a manual means to temporarily deactivate for a single opening.
6) Alarms can be battery powered or connected to the permanent electrical wiring system.
7) An additional “Pre-Plaster/Safety Inspection” is required for all pool/spa construction projects. In order to pass this inspection, all door/window alarms, window opening control devices, permanent fencing, and self-closing gates must be installed and found to function properly. Motorized gates (electrical or solar) are not considered to be an acceptable self-closing mechanism.
Typical door alarm for swimming pool.
Water Safety Videos
Please note that all swimming pools (in-ground and above-ground), hot tub and spa owners must also sign the permit application submitted with the construction documents and confirm that they have viewed one or more of the following water safety videos:
Video #1 NRH WS365 Paxton's Story
Video #2 Pool Safely
Video#3 Jump In! Get the Facts on Water Safety
Visit the NRH Water Safety 365 website for more safety information.
Permit Application & Materials
Swimming Pool/Hot Tub/Spa Permit Application (E-portal)
Swimming Pool Contractor's Guide
Swimming Pool Blueprint Requirements (Bulletin B-150)
Public & Semi-Public Aquatic Facilities