In case you haven’t already heard, a big freeze is on its way! Temps will drop into the single digits on Thursday, Dec. 22 and stay below freezing for a couple of days. Fortunately, no precipitation is expected, so there should be no impacts to our roadways.
Here’s how you can prepare:
- Turn off sprinkler systems to prevent freezing runoff on our sidewalks and streets.
- Cover outdoor faucets.
- Locate the water shut-off valve for your home and know how to turn it off if needed. Here’s a video shows that you how: https://youtu.be/lNQ7Gk95yTM
- If you will be traveling and are worried about pipes freezing, consider turning off your water at the meter and setting your thermostat to 65 degrees or higher before you go.
- Bring pets indoors.
- Cover potted plants or bring indoors.
- Keep anything that can burn at least 3 feet away from fireplaces, wood stoves or space heaters.
- Never leave vehicles warming up and unattended.
- Check on elderly neighbors and family members to make sure they are aware and prepared.