As the extreme heat wave continues, United Way of Tarrant County is collecting A/C units for older adults and disabled individuals who are without sufficient access to air conditioning. If you’d like to get involved with this effort, please visit United Way's website for more information.
There are several air-conditioned cooling centers open in Tarrant County for those in need. Please call 2-1-1 if you or someone you know needs to find a cooling center, a portable A/C unit, or other assistance.
We know you have all heard this before, but please keep these heat safety tips in mind:
- Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate! Drink plenty of water to stay refreshed.
- Stay indoors during the hottest parts of the day.
- Dress light and wear breathable fabrics to stay comfortable.
- Check on your neighbors and relatives, especially the elderly.
- If you must be outdoors, don't forget sunscreen to protect your skin from harmful rays.
- Never leave people or pets unattended in a vehicle.
- Know the signs and symptoms of heat illnesses.